Sunday, April 24, 2011

April Update

Pyare Pita (Dear Father)
Tune Humse Kitna Pyar Kiya (How much you have loved us)
Mere Paapo Se Chudane Ko (To release from my sin)
Aapne Bete Ko Kurban Kiya (Your Son you sacrificed)
Hindi Praise Song






Orientation in Delhi
Greetings prayer partners! I landed here on Wednesday the 13th and went full speed ahead! I have had the privilege to meet up with all of the other Jman going to South Asia that I met at orientation in Virginia and it has been wonderful going through our first two weeks together. We have been a great support for one another and I hope to continue to keep in touch with them as we prepare to disperse next week to different cities in South Asia. There are some great families here in Delhi that have helped us with orienting to South Asia. India is a wonderful place. People here love Americans and as we walk down the streets or ride in rickshaws we often feel like the next big movie star! I have really enjoyed my first two weeks here. We have done many things including visiting different parts of town, visiting religious sites, shopping in the market, a cricket game (they take it very seriously here), trying different types of food, and visiting a variety of churches around Delhi. The city is a busy place and can sometimes carry some interesting smells, but Indian people are very welcoming, the clothing is colorful and fun to wear, and the food is some of the best I’ve ever had. Spirituality is a great part of the Indian way of life and the “lostness” can be quite overwhelming at times. There are idols everywhere and there are many spiritual practices here in India. Babies have black under their eyes and shaved heads to ward off evil spirits because they believe evil spirits will steal their children if they are attractive. The temples are filled with images, statues, incense and bells that they use to wake up their gods. They offer money, food, and drink to their gods in efforts to gain blessings and favor. I have also met South Asians who worship the Lord Jesus and Him only. They often suffer for bearing the name of a Jesus follower. I know God is doing a great work here and I’m reminded daily that He alone can penetrate the darkness here and shine the light of hope and forgiveness that we have in the love and knowledge of Christ.  I feel that it has been a privilege to be able to come here and I can’t wait to learn and see more! Thank you for your support!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.